Jay is a seasoned legal professional with over 35 years of trial experience, having represented both plaintiffs and defendants in approximately 100 jury trials. In 2004, he transitioned to a full-time neutral and has since mediated and arbitrated nearly 5,000 matters. Jay’s combined experience, coupled with his calm and composed demeanor and his skillful approach to mediation, make him one of the most sought-after neutrals in Southern California. He is particularly adept at resolving complex issues, multi-party disputes, and catastrophic injury and death cases, especially those involving alleged medical negligence. His extensive knowledge and insights into medical issues and litigation further enhance Jay's credibility and effectiveness as a mediator.
Jay’s proven track record of facilitating fair and mutually beneficial resolutions to even the most challenging conflicts has earned him an excellent reputation among clients and colleagues. One attorney commented, "Mr. Horton's analysis of the strengths and weaknesses of the case from several different positions was so accurate. He is one of the most efficient and hard-working mediators I have ever come across."
- Complex Litigation
- Elder Abuse
- Insurance Coverage
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises/Public Entity Liability
- Product Liability
In his spare time, Mr. Horton is interested in finding more time to engage in Youth Activities and Sports, Creative Writing, Golf and Tennis.
- Full-time Neutral, Judicate West (2004-Present)
- Partner, Horton, Barbaro & Reilly (1977-2004)
- Partner, Trotter, Horton, Handweiler & Bahan (1976)
- Settlement Officer, Orange County Superior Court (1975-Present)
- Partner, Horton and Bahan (1974-75)
- Associate, Kinkle, Rodiger, Graf, Dewberry & Spriggs (1969-74)
- J. D., University of Southern California (1968)
- B. A., University of Southern California (1965)
- Mediation Certificate, Institute for Conflict Management (2003)
- Consumer Attorneys of California; Orange County Trial Lawyers, Member
- American Board of Trial Advocates, Member (1974-Present)
- Orange County Bar Association, Member (1971-Present)
- Mr. Horton has been selected as one of Daily Journal's Top Neutrals in the State of California every year since 2007.
- He is AV rated by Martindale Hubbell. He was awarded “Trial Lawyer of the Year” by the Orange County Trial Lawyers (1999) and Orange County Chapter of ABOTA (1995), and the “Champion of Justice Lifetime Achievement Award” by the Orange County Trial Lawyers 2009.
- He was also President of the Orange County Chapter of ABOTA (1984).
- Jay has mediated over 2,000 medical negligence disputes, including complex, multi-party disputes. His extensive knowledge and insights into medical issues and litigation make him sought-after as a neutral.
- He has mediated countless catastrophic injury and death cases.