After 33 years as a successful trial attorney and firm owner specializing in medical malpractice, premises liability, and wrongful death, Lauren Tate realized her passion for mediation and began to make her transition in 2012. While her litigation practice focused on personal injury matters, she has successfully mediated a wide variety of matters including business and real estate disputes. Lauren is particularly skilled at maintaining control of negotiations and reaching settlements in emotionally charged cases. She brings to each case her strong emotional intelligence coupled with extensive experience working with professionals in complex medical cases and remains committed to resolution throughout the process.
Lauren is not only adept at listening to counsel and crafting the most effective process for each case, but she also quickly builds a foundation of trust and respect, manages expectations, and keeps the parties motivated to make informed decisions. According to Lauren, “My work as a neutral resolving case is by far, the most rewarding of my career. I have worked hard my entire personal and professional life to develop the skills required to be an effective mediator and am both proud and humbled to do this work.” An attorney commented, “She was able to listen empathically to my client’s frustration and keep her engaged and she spoke to her directly about the negatives and the risks while maintaining her respect and trust. I’m a little surprised at how effective a mediator can be. In the past, I identified very little difference between them. She is really a cut above!”
- All types of Medical Malpractice
- All types of Personal Injury
When Lauren is not working, you will find her hiking in the Desolation Wilderness or Seven Sisters, swimming and sailing in Lake Tahoe. She is passionate about her work as a member of Donor Development Committee of the Alameda County Community Food Bank and a proud supporter of Achieve Tahoe which serves disabled adults, children and veterans pursuing summer and winter sports.
- Mediator, Judicate West (2019-Present)
- Mediator, Tate & Associates (2012-Present)
- Settlement Panelist; Marin County Superior Court (2012-Present)
- Contra Costa County Superior Court ADR Program Panelist
- Alameda County Mediation Program Panelist
- Managing Partner, Tate & Associates, specializing in all types of medical malpractice and personal injury (2003-Present)
- Partner, Livingston Tate, LLP (2000-2002)
- Attorney, Shane & Taitz (1998-2000)
- Attorney, Lucey, Watkins & Lamson (1996-1998)
- Attorney, Anderson, Galloway & Lucchese (1994-1996)
- Attorney, Achor & Miller (1990-1994)
- Attorney, Bronson, Bronson & McKinnon (1986-1989)
- J.D., University of California, Davis School of Law (1986)
- B.A., University of California, Berkeley (1982)
- Pepperdine’s Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Advanced Mediation Skills & Techniques (2016, 2018)
- Woody Motsen, Mediation and Collaborative Practice (2016)
- Steven Rosenberg, Advanced Mediation Training (2015)
- Steven Rosenberg, Mediation Certificate Program (2012)
- Alameda County Bar Association, Member
- Contra Costa County Bar Association, Member
- National Association of Women Lawyers, Member
- Queen’s Bench, Member
- Association of Defense Counsel, Member
- San Francisco Trial Lawyers Association, Member
- SFTLA Distinguished Mediator of the Year (2021)
- Dispute between former romantic partners over money loaned involving issues of fraud, misrepresentation, and breach of oral and written agreements.
- Mediated a breach of contract, negligence, and fraud dispute between a tech company and an independent contractor. Parties reached an agreement on amounts owed, salvaged important working relationships, and negotiated a long-term future contract.
- Dispute between a financial advisor and former client involving allegations of negligence, fraud and misrepresentation, and intentional infliction of emotional distress.
Construction Breach Of Contract
- Mediated dispute between homeowner and contractor involving issues of fraud, misrepresentation, negligence, and embezzlement.
- An employee who was injured on the job and later terminated brought claims for disability discrimination and failure to accommodate under FEHA.
Medical Mal Dental
- Mediated a case brought against a dentist involving a claim of permanent injury to jaw and significant emotional distress.
- Medical negligence case against physician and hospital arising out of prescription resulting in serious injury and subsequent hospital admission.
- Mediated a case involving failure to diagnose cancer with significant causation issues.
- Mediated a case against a residential care facility for claims of sexual assault of developmentally delayed adults by another resident.
- Negligence against skilled nursing facility arising out of the administration of anti-coagulation therapy after bilateral quadriceps tendon repair.
- Medical Malpractice/Products Liability- Wrongful Action case involving the death of a 2-year-old child against surgeon, hospital, and medical device manufacturer.
- Permanent nerve injury following surgery with standard of care and complicated causation issues.
- A case involving medical negligence and medical battery arising out of gynecological surgery.
- A case involving allegations of mishandling of the decedent's remains by a hospital.
- A medical negligence and medical battery case arising out of surgery.
Breach Of Contract
- Breach of a promissory note, fraud, and intentional infliction of emotional distress relating to domestic partners and real property.
- Mediated cases brought against agents, brokers, and title companies for negligence, fraud, and misrepresentation
Home Owners Association
- HOA and homeowner involving CCRs, unpaid assessments, and allegations of breach of fiduciary duties and negligence by HOA.
- Significant damage to home between the property owner and former tenants.
- Neighbor dispute in a high-end community involving issues of trespass, stalking, and misrepresentation.
- Dispute between homeowner and contractor in a seven-figure remodeling project involving numerous change orders.
- Mediated a case involving Public Disclosure of Private Facts, conspiracy, aiding and abetting, intentional infliction of emotional distress; non-profit, medical professional, and individual defendants.
- Invasion of privacy, public disclosure of private facts, conspiracy, and aiding and abetting arising from media broadcast.
- Mediated numerous cases brought against retailers, restaurants, distributors, and producers of food products under products liability and negligence theories involving complicated infectious disease and causation issues
- Mediated a case involving a dog attack of another dog and its owner at a public park resulting in severe injuries to both.
- Case involving false imprisonment, assault, intentional infliction of emotional distress, negligence, negligence per se, and negligent hiring.
- Dog bite involving injury to a child and NIED claim by the sibling.
- Mediated numerous motor vehicle, bicycle, and pedestrian accidents ranging from soft tissue to catastrophic injuries, involving issues of fault, causation, and competing expert medical opinions regarding causation and appropriate treatment.
- Police officer motorcycle struck an 8-year-old in a crosswalk during a protest resulting in physical and emotional injuries to the child, and negligent infliction of emotional distress claims by parents. This was complicated by issues involving the officer’s post-accident conduct, community relations, and long-term impact on child and required the management of high emotions during negotiations.
- Underinsured motorist claim involving causation issue with regard to meniscal tear and resulting surgery.
- Personal injury case regarding a bicycle versus a golf cart.
- Mediated a motor vehicle accident involving a ride-share service company.
- Dispute involving a bicycle accident allegedly caused by construction work
PI Sexual Molestation
- Allegations of an inappropriate relationship between a counselor and client at an inpatient alcohol rehab facility.
- Mediated multiple cases against major carriers involving premises liability and negligence claims ranging from trip and falls, overhead bin cases, and assault by intoxicated/unruly passengers.
- Mediated numerous slip and trip-and-fall cases involving public entities, private property, retail establishments, transit systems, and airline carriers.
- Premises liability case regarding building code violations, and a hip fracture with complex medical causation issues.
- Significant damage case against a public entity and private contractor with difficult liability issues.
- Mediated a premises liability case against a hospital.
- Mediated a products liability case against the manufacturer, distributor, and installer of a rolling metal door resulting in injury to store employee.
- Negligence and product liability theories against a restaurant and food supplier, resulting in significant damage to teeth.
- Wrongful death of a 12-year riding her bike when struck by an employee driving employer vehicle; issues regarding course and scope; overcame high emotional barriers and negotiated additional non-monetary terms including changes in employer policies
- Wrongful death case against physicians and hospital brought by estate and minor children and involved multiple experts on the standard of care, causation, and future economic loss projections. Overcame barriers of physician consent to settlement.
- Mediated multi-plaintiff wrongful death and injury case arising from a faulty wall heater; claimed punitive damages.
- Wrongful death action brought by two minor children against physicians and medical facility. Managed difficult issues involving anger of surviving spouse and physician consent during mediation.