Since 1994, Jeff has mediated and arbitrated in excess of 2,000 cases. In his 34+ years of practicing law representing both plaintiffs and defendants, he has handled personal injury cases including uninsured and underinsured motorists, insurance matters, coverage and bad faith in addition to product liability and asbestos litigation. For the past 12 years, he has specialized in medical malpractice and premises liability cases. The first case Jeff mediated was almost 20 years ago because his opposing counsel said he would make a great mediator, so he asked Jeff to mediate a few of his cases. Since then, he has been just as passionate about the ADR process as he is about trying cases. Jeff commented, "The reason why I serve as a neutral is that I get a great sense of satisfaction in helping people resolve disputes. Being in the trenches has allowed me to see all angles of a dispute, I truly care about people and I will never let a case go, I always stay with it." Those who have worked with Jeff describe him as tenacious, sharp, and a well-prepared neutral who has an excellent read on people.
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Medical Malpractice
- Personal Injury
- Premises Liability
- Products Liability
- Wrongful Death/Catastrophic Injury
- Since 1993, mediated approximately 2000 cases which included complex personal injury, medical malpractice, elder abuse, sexual assault, dog bite, and various contractual and real estate disputes
- Successfully mediated a seven figure child molestation case against a school district
- Selected as one of the 2015 AV/Preeminent lawyers in San Francisco
Running, swimming, kayaking, golf and tennis
- Neutral, Judicate West (2016-Present)
- Of Counsel, Van de Poel, Levy, Allen & Arneal (2014-present)
- Of Counsel, Craddick, Candland & Conti (2002-2014)
- Partner and Associate, Knox Ricksen, LLP (1982-2001)
- Associate, Hardy & McFee (1978-1982)
- Manager, Refectory International, Inc. (1969-1975)
- J.D. Hastings College of the Law (1978)
- B.A. University of California at Berkeley (1968)
- The Mediation Society of San Francisco, Member
- Association of Defense Counsel, Northern California, Former Member
- Mediation certification – Center for Mediation, American Arbitration Association (1994)
- Contra Costa County and Solano County Bar Associations, Member
- AV Rated, Martindale-Hubbell
- Mediator/arbitrator, in Contra Costa, Solano, Coco and Napa Counties Court Programs since 1995
- Mediated a settlement involving a plaintiff who sustained injuries on the premises of a facility after equipment he was using fell on him.
- Arbitrated claims arising from a vehicle vs. motorcycle accident for injuries and loss of wages
- Mediated settlement of claims of a pedestrian injured by a car and suffered serious injuries.
- Mediated a settlement of an auto collision causing severe injuries requiring recurring future medical care.
- Settled a million dollar case stemming from an auto collision resulting in severe injuries to multiple parties.
- Mediated a slip and fall case where a consumer sustained injuries at a large commercial store.