As a full-time neutral since 2011, Ed has focused his practice on mediation and is now available in all our offices statewide. He has over 30 years of combined legal experience. As an attorney, Ed was involved in many mediations and recognized the benefits that private dispute resolution offered. Years later, while serving on the Riverside and San Bernardino County Court Panels, he discovered his passion for being a mediator. Ed was recognized by the Riverside Superior Court as being one of its top mediators for several years and now serves as a full-time private mediator.
An attorney had this to say about Ed, “My clients and I are highly impressed by Mr. Fernandez's professionalism, skill, and, most importantly, his mannerism. He is straight to the point and has the ability to put people at ease. He is never pushy but is quite persuasive. He successfully helped us resolve a matter which we were not very optimistic about at the beginning of the mediation. I will definitely put him on the “top pick” list of my future mediator selection.”
One of Ed's perspectives on mediation is that “the same, 'cookie cutter' approach just does not work anymore. Listen to the parties, be patient and build trust and confidence.”
- All Types of Personal Injury
- Government/Public Agencies
- Insurance Coverage/Bad Faith
- Real Estate
Ed and his wife Kathy have four children. Ed enjoys brewing beer and recently completed “Introduction to Practical Brewing”, a week-long course at UC Davis. In addition, Ed can be found playing guitar in a couple of local Riverside bands.
- Mediator, Judicate West (2017-Present)
- Mediator, Top Pick Mediator (2011-Present)
- Partner, Fernandez & Lauby (2015-2017)
- Partner, Donner, Fernandez & Lauby (1998-2011)
- Partner, Gilbert, Kelly, Crowley & Jennett, Riverside (1989- 1998)
- Attorney, Gilbert, Kelly, Crowley & Jennett, Los Angeles (1984-1989)
- J.D., University of California San Diego (1982)
- B. A., University of California, San Diego (1979)
- Mediating the Litigated Case, Pepperdine University School of Law, Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution (2008)
- ABA Section of Dispute Resolution, Member (2011-Present)
- ADR, Conflict Resolution and Mediation Exchange, Member (2011-Present)
- American Institute of Mediation (AIM), Member (2011-Present)
- Commercial and Industry Arbitration and Mediation Group, Member (2011-Present)
- Mediators Beyond Borders, Member (2011-Present)
- Mediators and Peacemakers, Member (2011-Present)
- Southern California Mediation Association (SCMA), Member (2011-Present)
- American Board of Trial Advocates (ABOTA) – San Bernardino/Riverside Chapter, Member (2008-Present)
- Riverside County Bar Association, Member (1990-Present)
- Los Angeles County Bar Association, , Member (1984-Present)
- AV Rating, Martindale-Hubbell
- Panelist, Riverside County Bar Association & Riverside Superior Court New Attorney Academy, “The Ins and Outs of Alternative Dispute Resolution” (2016)
- Speaker, Mediation and the American Civil Justice System, California State University San Bernardino-Southwest University of Political Science Lecture Series (July 2012)
- “So You Want to Be A Mediator?” by Edward A. Fernandez – Riverside Lawyer Magazine Volume 64-3 (March 2014)
- Recognized by the Riverside Superior Court as a “Top 3 Civil Mediator” (2012, 2014)
Construction Breach Of Contract
- Mediated numerous construction matters, addressing complex matters such as express indemnity and additional insured issues
- Mediated insurance claims encompassing a range of matters, including cases involving open policies, uninsured motorist claims, and underinsured motorist claims.
Home Owners Association
- HOA matters involving disputes between homeowners and associations regarding construction issues, landscaping issues as well as claims against HOAs for dangerous conditions of property, among others.
- Property damage subrogation claims include fire loss, water damage, and smoke damage.
- Mediated complex cases involving catastrophic and serious injuries, such as wrongful death, paralysis, amputations, scars, burns, spinal injuries, and traumatic brain injuries (TBIs)
- Successfully mediated diverse personal injury cases, including automobile accidents, trucking incidents, boating accidents, bicycle collisions, bus-related matters, scooter and skiing accidents, and cases involving public ride-share companies.
- Proficient in handling premises liability cases, including those related to retail premises, restaurants, and residential properties.
- Mediated school district cases involving a range of issues, including playground injuries, concerns related to special needs students, and allegations of teacher abuse toward students.
- Product liability mediations involving allegedly defective electronic candles causing burns, allegedly defective electric skateboards causing injuries, allegedly defective furniture causing injuries, and more.